From the beginning of time, humans have started businesses. Of course, in the beginning it was much easier to start a business than it is today. Today’s economy is more competitive than ever before, and many small businesses fail within their first year because they didn’t start off with enough capital.
Starting your own business requires guts and tons of passion for what you’re doing. You really can’t just do anything that you feel will work or that you enjoy doing; there are certain things that will make your business successful, or keep it from being successful at all! Many entrepreneurs are inspiring people who are passionate about their dream! But without passion alone, your dream won’t come true. There are certain “tips” to follow when starting a small business in order for it to succeed in today’s economy:
1) Start Small… Don’t try to be larger than life right away! If you want to start a company that makes clothes for women size 6-12 then don’t go out and buy hundreds of sewing machines and hire workers right away! Start small by making clothes out of your home with only yourself involved in the process. I have a hard time keeping things in order, and I know I would go crazy if I had to manage a large staff of people! So start small and work your way up.
2) Stay Focused… Don’t let the other stuff that you think will make your business successful take away from what you’re doing! If you love sewing, then focus on that; don’t try to design websites or create clothing for larger women as well. Just stick with what you like, and what will keep your mind at ease! The more things/ideas/companies/projects etc. that we try to do at one time the less we actually accomplish! If you want something bad enough, then stay focused and work hard enough to get it done!
3) Be Smart… Figure out how much money is needed for starting a small business. How much advertising can be done without breaking the bank? How many employees should be hired? What kind of transportation should be used? These are all things that need to be considered before beginning any type of business venture just so there aren’t any surprises later on down the road when things get difficult or one step leads to another step which leads us into a money pit where we have no idea how to dig ourselves out from… Again, stay focused and stay smart.
4) Take the Risk… Starting a business is risky. There’s no doubt about that! But it can be extremely rewarding if you succeed! If you’re not willing to take the risk then you probably shouldn’t even attempt starting your own business because it won’t work out in the end. You have to be willing to take chances and make mistakes; otherwise, how else will you ever learn?!
5) Be Willing to Be an Entrepreneur… What is an entrepreneur? An entrepreneur is someone who organizes and manages any enterprise, especially a business or company. It’s someone who has great ideas and knows how to bring those ideas into successful reality by taking risks when necessary. So when I say “be willing” I mean that when something goes wrong, don’t bitch about it; instead look at what happened and figure out how to fix or adjust things in order for your dream/business/company etc. to become successful.
6) Be Patient… Sometimes things don’t happen in the way you planned. That’s okay! If there are some things that need to be changed in your business, then change them! Don’t wait for the right time or just hope that it will go away… Be smart and patient with your business and it will succeed! Don’t lose sight of what you’re doing just because one step didn’t work out how you expected it to in the beginning. Remember all of my tips when starting a small business, especially this one!
7) Have Fun… You can’t start a small business if you aren’t having fun doing it!! I’m sure many people have tried starting their own businesses but gave up on them because they weren’t having fun doing what they were doing anymore.
I know that I didn’t go in any particular order with these tips, but each tip is extremely important. So I hope you understood all of them and were able to take something from this post! Feel free to leave comments or questions for me… And remember: “Stay Focused”.
Thanks for reading this piece!