I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but I’ll say it again. Success is about how you define it. The idea of “success” can mean many different things to many different people, so take some time to really think about what success means to you! That being said, here are some tips for making your blogging experience successful:
1) Have a blog that’s unique and fun! Don’t just throw up any old thing on blogspot. Do something that will actually be beneficial to people or entertaining enough for them to want to read it regularly. It could be a blog about fashion or beauty advice, frustrations with school or work…anything really as long as there’s a topic involved and there’s a reason why someone would want to see your content every day.
2) Be consistent! You can’t expect anyone (including yourself) to follow your blogging journey if you never post consistently. Try sticking with posting once per week at least until people get used to seeing your posts pop up in their feed reader/email inbox every week on the same day/time as always. I am a student helping with Temple university blog. I always try to post twice a week and it is really hard for me because of my busy schedule, but I love it.
3) Have fun! Successful bloggers are passionate about what they do and they enjoy writing about their topics. If you’re not having fun blogging, then why even bother? (I should know, I’ve stopped blogging before.) Find something that you like doing and make sure that your blog reflects who you are as a person. Show the world what makes YOU special!
4) Blogging isn’t everything! Just because you have a blog doesn’t mean it’s going to be successful overnight (even if your posts get thousands of hits). There’s no such thing as being the next “big celebrity” from just one single post. It takes time to build up an audience and earn credibility in this industry…and even THEN sometimes people forget about the work that goes into creating content on a regular basis! So don’t feel discouraged if your blog isn’t successful or well known yet…just keep going at it slowly until it starts working out for you. That being said…don’t spend all day on social media sites either!! Social Media can be great for getting likes..but don’t let social media stop. You need to blog on a regular basis, and social media is not the only way to get your blog out there!
5) Read other people’s blogs too! There’s no point in starting a blog if you don’t ever do any reading! Blogging can be really helpful for others if you share tips on how to make yours successful, but it also helps YOU because you’ll be exposed to new ideas and writing styles. It’s important to remember that blogging isn’t just about YOU…it’s about sharing your interests with others. You can even get new readers by using relevant hashtags when posting on social media sites!
6) Don’t expect anything in return. I know it might sound silly, but blogging isn’t just about getting more followers/likes/traffic etc…it’s so much more than that. Don’t start a blog expecting people to “like” or comment on every one of your posts if they don’t have something nice or constructive to say (trust me, I’ve gotten hate comments before). Start a blog because you love writing and want an outlet for expressing yourself without having anyone telling you what you can or cannot do with YOUR work! This is YOUR space. If someone doesn’t like your content then they won’t read it anymore, and that doesn’t mean anything bad has happened–you’re still alive and breathing. Just keep going at it until something sticks.
Blogging is really not that hard, but it takes time. Don’t expect to get famous overnight. Don’t expect people to like everything you post on social media. And don’t let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do with your blog content either! Just love blogging for the sake of blogging, and try new things until something works for you…and even then keep trying!