QuickBooks, popularly known for its accounting and bookkeeping features, is one of the best accounting software around the world. Being used by thousands of businesses, QuickBooks makes the entire procedure of managing income and expenses a piece of cake for its users. With the help of QuickBooks, a user can easily invoice customers, pay bills, prepare tax and generate financial reports, like profit & loss reports. But despite being so well designed and advantageous to work with, QuickBooks is not immune to errors and technical glitches. In this post, we are going to talk about QuickBooks could not connect to email server error, which usually takes place when a user tries to use webmail in QuickBooks Desktop. There can be numerous reasons causing such an error that we intend to discuss with you and the solutions ahead in this post.
One of the following error messages pops up on the computer screen with the error prompt:
“Couldn’t Connect to Email Server: We were unable to connect to the email server for your email provider”
“QuickBooks was unable to send your form for the following reason: QuickBooks was able to connect to the remote server but could not understand the server’s response. Please try again to see if the problem has been corrected on the server.”
What can be the reasons behind QuickBooks could not connect to email server error?
QuickBooks could not connect to email server error usually gets triggered when the version of the QuickBooks Desktop gets outdated. Although, there can be other reasons as well, likes the ones we have mentioned below:
- The security settings of the Internet Explorer web browser are faulty.
What needs to be done to rectify QuickBooks could not connect to email server error?
Solution 1) Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release using the administrator account
- On the keyboard, press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Enter “QuickBooks Desktop” into the search box.
- Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and select the Run as administrator option.
- If prompted, type in the QuickBooks administrator password.
- On the keyboard, press Windows + E keys altogether to open File Explorer.
- Open the folder that contains company files by navigating to the following path: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files.
- Find the .qbw file in the folder and right-click it.
- Press & hold the Alt key on the keyboard and then select the Open option from the drop-down list.
- Go to the Help menu and select the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Select the Options tab and then click on the Mark All button.
- Move on to the Update Now tab, checkmark the Reset Update checkbox, and then click on the Get Updates button.
- Press Alt + F4 keys altogether to close down the No Company Open window.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and then click on the Yes button located at the Installer update prompt.
Solution 2) Manually reset the security settings of Internet Explorer to default
- At first, close down the QuickBooks Desktop application if its opened.
- Click on the Internet Explorer icon to open the web browser.
- Select the Tools menu located at the top-right corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down list, select the Internet Options option.
- Go to the Advanced tab and then click on the Restore Advanced Settings button.
- Click on the OK button.
- On the keyboard, press the Alt and F4 keys altogether to exit out Internet Explorer.
If you are unable to get rid of QuickBooks could not connect to email server error even after going through both the troubleshooting solutions mentioned in the above post, then there are high chances that the webmail settings are incorrect. Therefore, our suggestion for you is to correct the webmail settings and check if this fixes the error or not. You can also ask for further troubleshooting assistance fixing the webmail error from our QuickBooks support team at the toll-free number 800-583-0572.