QuickBooks is accounting software used to track sales, inventory, and financial data of the company. Regular updates are released to eliminate any bugs or lags and add new features to the application. However, you may still encounter a few issues or errors while using QuickBooks. The most problematic issue is when QuickBooks closes unexpectedly. If your QuickBooks stopped working and you don’t know how to fix it, this article is for you. The causes for QuickBooks unexpectedly crashing are given below in this article with the solutions to fix it. Read the complete article to know a few extra solutions.
If you are having difficulty resolving the issue by yourself, dial (844)-932-1139 and get technical assistance from a QuickBooks Professional.
What Causes QuickBooks to Close Unexpectedly?
Sometimes the company name is longer than permitted in QuickBooks, which can become the cause of QuickBooks crashing unexpectedly. Other common causes of QuickBooks closing unexpectedly are listed below:
- The QBWUSER.ini file is damaged.
- Corrupted QuickBooks Program.
- The QuickBooks installation file is damaged.
- The hard drive is corrupted.
Finding the solution is quick and easy if you know the cause of the issue. You can randomly implement any solution given below if you don’t know the cause of the issue.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Update error 1328
Solutions to Stop QuickBooks from Closing Unexpectedly
You can simply rename the company in the QuickBooks application to resolve the issue if the long company name is the cause. Other solutions to the causes mentioned above are provided below:
1. Rename the QBWUSER.ini file
The damaged QBWUSER.ini file is the most common cause of QuickBooks crashing. However, you can easily fix the issue by renaming the QBWUSER.ini file. The steps to rename the file are given below:
- First, open the QuickBooks folder, where the file is usually stored. [Note: If you are unable to search the file, it might be possible that the file is hidden. Enable hidden files and folder from the folder settings.]
- Once you have located the file, right-click the QBWUSER.ini file.
- Select the Rename option.
- Then add .OLDFILE at the end of the file name. (For example, QBWUSER.ini.OLDFILE).
- After that, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- Finally, open QuickBooks again to check if the error is resolved.
2. Run Quick Fix my Program
If the corrupted QuickBooks Program is the cause of QuickBooks closing unexpectedly, you need to run Quick Fix my Program to resolve the issue. Follow the steps listed below to run Quick Fix my Program:
Note: Download and install the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub to run Quick Fix my Program.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub application.
- Then select the Program Problems tab from the left pane.
- After that, click Quick Fix my Program.
- Once the repair is done, open QuickBooks to see if the error persists
This article aims to explain why QuickBooks closes unexpectedly and how you can fix it. The most effective solutions described with the step-by-step instructions include renaming the QBWUSER.ini file and running Quick Fix my Program. If the damaged installation files are causing QuickBooks to close unexpectedly, you can run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool to fix it. Dial (844)-932-1139 and get immediate help from a QuickBooks Expert if the issue is still not resolved.